Many Christians have been lulled to sleep about the truth by the false gospel of prosperity, which is preached by many (even if only subtly) from pulpits mostly with very large congregations. I've heard many people say that if you're financially struggling it's because you're not in right relationship with God. This is so far from the true gospel that tells us to take up our cross daily, and last time I checked crosses aren't exactly comfortable or pleasant!
And he said to them all, if any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow me. Luke 9:23
My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith works patience. James 1:3
I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: everywhere and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. Philippians 4:12These verses, and many more give us at least 3 reasons why God wouldn't give us everything we want financially. The sleepy Christians that have been lulled to sleep with this false gospel seem to be the ones that are falling for the rich billionaire's idea of what defines a Christian and conservative. That's what made this gospel so dangerous, because it causes us to believe falsely that someone so successful must be a Christian if he says he is, is going to build a wall, and is a philanthropist. Those are the only reasons I've seen given to support Trump by Christians. Christians have had their ears tickled with this false doctrine, and it's time to recognize it for what it is! This election is demonstrating the extreme danger that this false gospel presents to not only the Church, it's testimony, but to this country.
I know that I wouldn't give to my children everything they want materially if it didn't produce good character, and why would I expect any different from a good, loving, and faithful Heavenly Father? We need to wake up from our sleep Christians and see that we can't support someone just because they've been a successful businessman who happens to have given to a few good causes in his life. God expects us to examine someone's fruits!
I used Christians in the title, but I want to narrow my scope to believers in the Lord Jesus Christ who have made a personal profession of faith, fully committed to make Him Lord of their life, and seek a personal relationship through fellowship, daily prayer, and deep study of God's Word. I will refer to these people as Jesus followers. This blog is for those who truly are Jesus followers, but anyone else is free to read on to know the truth. I believe we will be held accountable for our vote and our stance, and we are being terrible examples to the World about the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ. We as disciples of Jesus are letting our belief in this false teaching of prosperity gospel show. Jerry Falwell Jr. (who I believe is a Jesus follower) announced that Donald Trump is a Christian because he has given lots of money, been successful in business (making hard decisions), and actually even comparing his life to Jesus. That's not how it works, that's not how it works at all!!
That's why for the sake of this blog I'm not using the word Christian, because the word no longer means anything just as Conservative no longer means anything. People say God doesn't take sides in politics, but he does take sides on truth. I happen to think He does take sides in politics or maybe this verse is just a coincidence:
Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. Matthew 25:41Don't blame the messenger! Seriously, I would like to be a voice of reason for those choosing to prayerfully consider who they would support. If you're looking for the most electable or successful than this blog isn't for you. If you're really prayerfully considering who has the character to lead this nation than I would love to have a conversation with each of you. No one is perfect, and we aren't electing our pastor or Sunday School teacher in chief (as Jerry Falwell Jr. said), but character certainly matters! Let's look at the fruit of the spirit or what character we see and those we don't see in Donald J. Trump. Shall we:
1) Trump has been successful in many ways in business, but has also had multiple failures as well. Why don't people want to talk about these failures? I know business is about taking risk, but God tells us to be debtors to no man. For him to have had 4 bankruptcies and to not have paid them back is ungodly! He has multiple failures in his business ventures that include: Vodka, Steaks, Airline, Restaurant, University, Mortgage, and several magazines.
2) Just look at Trumps followers to know his character. They say that one way to tell your character is by whom you hang around with, but I think you can tell someone's character by who follows them as well. I know everyone can have shady followers, and shady people can have good followers, but when you've got a large number of certain types of people it makes you start to question why those people are following Trump. On Twitter I can give you screen shot after screen shot of followers/supporters of Trump which include openly Anti-semites that say they hate ALL Jews, White Supremacist & Nazis, as well as the Witches have endorsed him. He retweeted a White Supremacist that he's since deleted. I've documented many of them here. Then there is Ann Coulter, which I can't put the screenshots of the proof of her ungodliness because I don't want to expose possible children to such things. She definitely has been Trump's assassin of character, and put out a tweet saying f-in Jesus Christ. What does that mean to Trump though who has dropped the f bomb too many times to count, s word, p word, and in rallies full of children?
3) Trump lacks any sense of compassion for others. Several Psychologist and Psychiatrist have actually said he has Narcissistic Personality Disorder, in which they have seen several characteristics that are prevalent in this disorder. Trump has an extreme sense of his own self-worth, and has an inability to show compassion and empathy for others. He has mocked a disabled man, called wounded POW's not a hero for getting captured (as compared to his coward draft dodging), mocked an Asian with broken English, and mocked suicide.
4) Trump has disparaged women. He has objectified women by admitting that he has women for trophies by saying "as long as I have a good piece of a@@." He's denigrated many women based on their appearance (Bette Midler, Arianna Huffington, and Carly Fiorina to name a few), called women names like bimbos & pigs, suggested they have issues because of their menstrual cycle, and it seems to be based on the fact that they don't fawn all over him because he's some billionaire. This doesn't even include how he's unapologetically treated the wives he cheated on, & went through bitter legal battles with 2 different wives. The most outrageous thing Trump has said was if Ivanka weren't his daughter he would date her, and commented that "she's got the best body". Everything is always about what women look like on the outside as this man has no substance at all!
5) Trump is pious and lacks any sense of humility. He seems to feed off of humiliating people, when he calls them vulgar names and has been known to yell and humiliate people in front of everyone. He graciously congratulated Cruz, and then came out the next day with a tweet saying he stole the election and his delegates should be removed from him. He shows no humility in loss, just like in anything else. He says he has no need of asking for forgiveness, but he just tries to make it right except his version of making it right is revenge. The Bible tells us very clearly what God requires of us as leaders:
He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? The voice of the Lord will call to the city - and it is sound wisdom to fear Your name: "Hear, O tribe. Who has appointed its time? Is there yet a man in the wicked house, along with treasures of wickedness and a short measure that is cursed? Can I justify wicked scales and a bag of deceptive weights? For the rich men of the city are full of violence, her residents speak lies, and their tongue is deceitful in their mouth. Micah 6:8-126) Trump lacks good judgement. I could give you many examples of this, but I think there is need of only one for proof. When he had the chance to speak to young people who need sound counsel what he chose to say to them says everything about his lack of judgement! He told the students & faculty at Liberty University in 2012 that they should always get revenge, & never get married without a prenuptial agreement. I wonder if those Jesus followers who support him can point to a Bible verse which says that, but I can point to verses that say the opposite. Revenge is God's, and not for us to repay. The only purpose of a prenuptial agreement is for the protection of his fortune and not his marriage.
Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay," says the Lord. Romans 12:19
And He answered and said, Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning made them male and female, and said, 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate. Matthew 19:55) Trump has been unfaithful to 2 wives, and once a cheater always a cheater (especially unrepentant ones). Who's to say he wouldn't be a womanizer in the White House, especially after his current wife ages, which happens to be 25 years younger. He has been a home wrecker to many more than his own home, as he bragged about having affairs with married women, has built casinos with strippers, and we all know that gambling and pornography has lead to many break ups of the family.
6) Trump has flipped on every substantial issue, just name any issue and he's changed it. But the one that bothers me the most is where he stood just a few years ago on partial-birth abortion. He said he was VERY pro-choice. How does someone change from VERY pro-choice to pro-life? I can even try to be persuaded, but I would need some concrete evidence on that. There is nothing in the record but rhetoric to show that he's changed. Sorry, when it comes to protecting human life in the womb I need to see some clear cut proof that you have stood even once when it comes to protecting human life from being destroyed in the womb. Regarding all the other issues, show me the battle scars where you've stood against the media, elites, and establishment on these issues or you're just blowing smoke! Many people change positions on some things, but not everything to such extremes. To switch so extremely from one position to another shows that you have no principle and/or integrity. I remember that John Kerry was called a flip-flopper, and lost the election because of it in 2004. They showed a picture of Kerry wind surfing and I thought of the verse in James about being carried away by the wind. Anyone who said that Kerry was a flip-flopper and supports Trump (especially defending his flips and flops) is a huge hypocrite.
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do. James 1:5-77) Trump has slandered, libeled, and maliciously attacked people's character, but when people criticize his record on what he's said and done he calls them a liar. This brings me to the present situation regarding Ben Carson in Iowa. Let's put aside all the other controversy for a minute about Carson leaving the caucus before any votes to get clean clothes, and what Cruz, CNN, Rubio, or Trump might have said or done for a minute. Let's just look at what Trump just said a few days ago verses what he's said about Carson in the past. We can actually prove what Trump said 2 months ago about Ben Carson directly effected him going from 2nd to 4th place in the Republican Primary race. I'm going to put his words in quotes and give link to watch the video so you can see for yourself.
On the Record with Greta, Donald Trump said "what he did to Ben Carson was a disgrace...what he did to Dr. Ben Carson a very good person...".This is not at all what Trump was saying just months before this when Dr. Ben Carson was in 2nd place, just behind him in Iowa.
At Iowa Central Community College: "I said that if you're a child molester, a sick puppy, a child molester, there's not cure for that - there's only one cure and we don't want to talk about that cure, that's the ultimate cure. No there's two, there's death and the other thing. But if you're a child molester, there's no cure, they can't stop you. Pathological, there's no cure."After mocking and imitating an incident that Carson talked about in one of his books when he was in his youth, Trump says this is impossible for this to have happened. Does this sound like someone that Trump thinks is a very good person?
"I have a belt. If someone hits, you not going in, it moves this way, it moves that way, he hit the belt buckle,...try it, believe me, it ain't going to work....And he plunged it into the belt and amazingly the belt stayed totally flat and the knife broke....How stupid are the people of Iowa? How stupid are the people of this country to believe this crap?"If there is any reason that Donald's sudden best friend Dr. Ben Carson came in 4th place (where he had been polling for 2 months every since Trump disgracefully smeared his character) it's because of one person alone, and that is the work of Donald J. Trump.
I have to admit to you that I used to actually defend Trump, because I was fearful of everything going on with terrorism and I liked most of what he was saying about building the wall and immigration. He admitted that he will use the line "build the wall" to stir up a crowd that is quiet. We can't make such important decisions about our life and country because of fear and emotion. Trump knows how to stir those emotions and fears, but God's word says that He hasn't given us a spirit of fear, but of power, love and sound mind. Let's be sober & sound minded, and prayerfully considering who has the right character to lead us. We don't need to vote for a Savior as we already have one of those, and we don't need to vote based on our pocketbook because God tells us not to trust in riches. We should carefully choose who we follow/support, as the country, our children and the world are looking. There really could never be a worse representation for Christians and Conservatives than Donald Trump. He's like the caricature of what every atheist, and liberal has ever said about Christians and Conservatives. Think about all the things I listed above and compare it to what every liberal says about Conservatives, and every atheists says about Christians (Rich, women haters-war on women, hates immigrants, lacking compassion, hypocrites, and liars).
Many people have said that Donald Trump is the only "electable" candidate, because many people will cross over to vote for him. Let's just say that's true, even though I doubt it with his unfavorable rating so high, but let's say it's true for argument's sake. What they mean by that is they believe he has the greatest chance of being elected, but for Jesus followers the question should be are his character and values acceptable for POTUS. According to Biblical standards my answer is unequivocally no that Donald Trump is unelectable for President! Many Conservatives came out #AgainstTrump to warn everyone that he doesn't have conservative values and principles. I believe that Christians need to come out to tell why they're #AgainstTrump. The evidence shows that there is no good fruit of Character in Donald Trump, and that's why all Christians should be #AgainstTrump.
You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. "A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. Matthew 7:16-17**Words in italics are links for videos that show Trump in his own words.
UPDATE: I've found many websites and would like to add some links to show what a terrible example that Trump is when representing Christians & Conservatives to the Country and the World. When Christians support him it only reinforces everything they've ever believed about who they thought we are as a group!!
Evangelical support for Trump plays into the lefts caricatures of them!
The Evangelic support of Trump is because not really religious!
Donald Trump stands for values they despise yet evangelicals are flocking to him
Have evangelicals who support Trump lost their values?
Why evangelicals worship Trump